Sunday, December 14, 2008

My Grandpa

this is my Grandpa...Many of my great childhood memories are with him...we would spend many summers in Colonia Juarez Mexico at Grandma and Grandpa McClellans house. He would take us to his apple orchards and tell us about the trees, take us for rides on the tractors and help us hunt for "our tree" (each of us kids had an apple tree that had a "bracelet" with our name and birthdate on it, it was our tree...) he showed us how to ride four wheelers and we had a great time! He would drive us into Casas Grandes to the tortilla factory and buy us fresh corn tortillas that we would have polished off before we made it back to grandpas house...he never forgot the salt! He always has a good supply of mazipan candy and sodas for us to sugar up on before he sent us home. But my favorite times...when we played beauty shop...he was such a great sport. He would sit happily as we put curlers in his arm hairs, his eyebrows, and his hair...and while we applied "make up" (water) with paint brushes. Grandpa always sat patiently while we put on puppet shows, dance recitals, and gynastics and thought we were the greatest. I love him, He is sick. he is old. 98 i think. He is dying. he has wanted to go for a long time, grandma died 5 or 6 years ago. he just wants to be with her. the selfish part of me wants him to stay...so we dont have to mourn him, and be sad. But i also want him to go, to be with grandma, to be healthy again, and happy. so he isnt in pain anymore. Soon he will join grandma, my heart is sad, and happy at the same time. I love him. and i will miss him. this picture was in June when we got back from Germany and visited TX for a month. I am so glad i got to see him then.

1 comment:

kristine said...

You are beautiful Heidi!! I loved what you said, it makes me think of my grandparents and their love for each other.. I felt the same way you did.. but really if I think about it land put myself in their shoes I would be the same way.. Take me! I want to be with my sweet heart!

Merry Christmas Heidi!! Love you!